Thursday, January 24, 2013

Annie Hall

Annie Hall was a great comedy in that it hit on many important aspects of love and gender roles. More specifically, I thought it was interesting how Alvy uses a women's menstrual cycle against Annie when she was in a bad mood. Coincidentally, I feel like it is common for issues to arise when a women is on her period, but I don't think its fair for a men to use something against a women that comes naturally and without choice.

I thought it was ironic how Alvy could not get over Annie when in most movies and scenarios it's the other way around. However, I liked this approach because it shows that a man too can have these mixed feelings and emotions as well as a sensitive side. Finding a sensitive side in men is hard to do, unless you're lucky. I think more relationships would be better off and longer lasting if both the man and woman could be more open and honest with each other. I felt like in Annie Hall they addressed their issues with a psychologist, but never with each other. No relationship will work without communication. I truly believe communication is the key to a successful relationship.

I liked how the movie clearly distinguishes the difference between the New York lifestyle and the California lifestyle. In NY you have a cold and almost fridgid mood and in California you had the happy go luck spirit. I think both locations identified with Alvy and Annie and their lifestyles. I thought it was a good way to find better understanding of who each character is.

Overall, this movie was effective in showing that relationships are still similar today as they were in the 70s. It shows how even though so much changes in time, but human characteristic remain similar in some aspects throughout generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment